Thursday 15 December 2011

Plenty More Fish

Plenty More Fish

‘Plenty more fish in the sea’ mother said
Well there’s something wrong with my line
I’ve been fishing for several years now
And I get it wrong every time.

My cosmic clock is ticking away
And I can’t seem to net me a prize
Perhaps I should alter the bait I use
Because nothing, it seems, gets a rise.

I’ve signed up to so many dating sites
My creel-limit’s right on the line
I’ve used Night Crawlers for some time now
And Red Wigglers seem to do fine.

But I need something much more exotic
To attract me an Apache Trout
They are listed as ‘endangered species’
So time could be running out.

The Buffalo-fish from Wigan
Was definitely a catch-and-release
I mistakenly foul-hooked his Anal-fin
Whilst attempting to stroke his cod-piece.

I’ve blind-casted for far too long now
Catching bottom-feeder, straggler and gnat
And Bucket-mouth Bass from Burnley
Let me tell you ‘You’re not all that!’

My honey hole’s almost dried up now
Can’t think when I was last in post-spawn
I’ve tried lipping and jigging and dipping
(and bumping, from dusk until dawn.)

The time has now come for a culling
No more Crappies, or Crayfish or Pike
Who are only concerned with my pectoral fin
You tail-spinners can all take a hike.

From now on I shall cast in clear waters
No more fishing with a slack line.
My Apache Trout?  He’s a keeper
And when I catch him, he’s MINE!


(Inspired by a friend of mine who shall remain nameless! This poem was chosen for inclusion in the Forward Press Regionals 2011 Collection.  The words in italics are fishing terms - just in case you thought I was being rude ;)


2 comments:

lynnt said...

You are lucky to have such friends who inspire you to these heights!

Tom McQuiggan said...

I wonder who the angler is??? :-)